Celebrating Bacon Week
This week is National Bacon Week so we thought it would be appropriate to post one of our favourite bacon recipes! Once you try the roast lamb with bacon stuffing, it’s sure to be one of your favourite roast dishes. Just remember to support the Aussie farmers and use Australian bacon for this recipe. After all, that’s the whole purpose of bacon week!
Roast Lamb with Bacon Stuffing
Ingredients (to serve 5):
- 1.5kg butterflyed leg of lamb
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 rashers bacon, rind removed, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 60grams char-grilled red capsicum, chopped
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 2/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 bunches baby carrots
- Preheat the oven to 22 degrees Celsius.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over medium heat and add the bacon and onion. Cook until golden brown and then remove from heat and place in a bowl.
- Add the capsicum, almonds, parsley, thyme and breadcrumbs to the bowl, and stir well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the lamb onto a board, skin side down. Spread the stuffing mixture over the lamb and press it in well.
- Roll the lamb tightly to ensure the stuffing is enclosed.
- Tie the lamb well with kitchen string before placing it into a large roasting pan.
- Rub the lamb with 2 tablespoons of oil, salt and pepper and roast for 15-20 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 180 degrees Celsius and continue cooking for another 25 minutes.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil over the carrots and place them around the lamb.
- Continuing cooking for another 20minutes for medium lamb.
- Remove from oven and cover with foil. Allow the lamb to sit for 5minutes before serving.
We hope you enjoy this roast lamb and bacon recipe. Help to support our local farmers and enjoy lots of bacon this week – it’s a good excuse for some delicious meals!
Today’s recipe is courtesy of Taste.com.au