Chickpea and Bacon Soup Recipe
Mmmm… a scrumptious meal is on your mind. But the fridge looksbare and there’s the lack of cash in your wallet. Butcherman is here to help! Save money on food, while still enjoying pleasurable, mouth watering meals with cheap and easy recipes. Chickpea and bacon soup is a delicious, affordable and easy to prepare recipe to serve as a starter or an entire meal.
- 1 cup of dried chickpeas, soaked over-night
- 6 – 8 rashers of bacon
- 2 brown onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 cups of water
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped parsley
- 1 zucchini, chopped small (remove seeds)
- 4 teaspoons of stock powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain chickpeas and set them aside. Cook bacon, onion and garlic in a large non-stick pan for 4 – 5 minutes. If you don’t have a non-stick pan then use 1 teaspoon of oil to sauté the bacon, onions and garlic.
- Add soaked chickpeas, water, bay leaves and stock powder. Simmer for about an hour.
- If you decide to use tinned chickpeas then use two tins, each about 400 gm in size. They need to be drained and rinsed. Decrease the simmering time to about 15 minutes.
- Add parsley, zucchini, salt and pepper. Boil for a further 10 minutes and serve.
Serves 6 – 8.