Cooking the Perfect Roast Turkey
A roast turkey is one of the quintessential holiday dishes so with Easter on the horizon, it’s time to learn how to roast a turkey to perfection! There are various stuffing recipes and turkey cooking times however we have included our steps for preparing a traditionally festive turkey.
Ingredients (to serve 8):
- 4.5kg turkey
- 75grams butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 400g premium sausages
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- Grated rind of 2 lemons
- 1 egg, beaten
- 100g white breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Heat 25grams of butter in a frypan, add the onion and cook until softened. Remove from heat.
- Remove the casing from the sausages and break the meat into a bowl. Add the cooked onion, parsley, thyme, egg, breadcrumbs and half the lemon rind. Stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 170’C while stuffing mixture cools.
- Wash and dry the turkey cavity before filling it with the sausage stuffing. Place the turkey into a roasting pan and run the breast with some butter. Cover with foil and roast for an hour.
- Combine the honey, 30grams of butter and the remaining lemon rind in a saucepan over a low heat. Simmer until butter melts.
- Remove the turkey from the oven and brush all over with the lemon and butter mixture. Season turkey with salt and pepper and place ½ cup water into the base of the roasting pan.
- Cook for another 1 ½ hours before removing the turkey and sitting to cool for 15minutes. Note that turkey cooking times will vary depending on the size of the turkey.
- Carve and serve.
With these 8 simple steps you can impress the family with a delectable roast turkey this Easter! Just make sure you vary the turkey cooking times depending on the size of turkey you purchase for the family.