Delicious Peri Peri Chicken Recipe
If you have your appetite set for a hot and spicy dish, you will enjoy peri peri chicken. You are in for a special treat when you eat this meal made from its Portuguese and South African origins. There are many peri peri chicken recipes. Below is just one tasty sample.
Peri Peri Glaze Ingredients
For the glaze portion of this dish, you will need:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons peri peri sauce or other hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh is best)
You may make your glaze up to a day in advance. Melt butter on stove top. Mix in coriander and garlic and cook 2 minutes. Mix in sauce and lemon juice and reduce heat to simmer an additional 2 minutes. Cover and refrigerate. Warm up when ready to use.
Peri Peri Chicken Ingredients
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 2-inch piece fresh peeled ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 large peeled shallot, quartered
- 3 peeled garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup peri peri sauce or other hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (set aside extra for brushing)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1.5kg- to 1.8kg chicken, backbone removed
- 1 11 3/4 x 8 1/2 x 1 1/4-inch disposable aluminum baking pan (to catch drips)
Peri Peri Method
Chop up coriander, ginger, shallot and garlic in a food processor. Blend in sauce, 1/4 cup oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Place chicken skin side up and press on breastbone to flatten. Wing tips should be tucked under. Pour half of marinade into 11x7x2-inch baking dish. Open chicken with skin side down in single layer in dish. Remaining marinade should be poured over chicken. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours. Turn chicken in marinade occasionally to make sure it is completely covered.
The top rack of the barbecue should be removed and the barbecue should be set at medium heat. Use a 2-burner grill, lighting one and leaving the other unlit. The disposable aluminum pan should be placed on the unlit one. Place upper grill rack on barbecue and brush with oil.
Remove chicken from marinade. Arrange skin side up on grill rack above drip pan. Cover barbecue and grill until skin is browned and internal temperature registers 74 degrees Celsius. Grill about 40 minutes while turning often. Place on serving platter and pour the warm glaze over the chicken.
You will no doubt enjoy this particular recipe. However, there are many peri peri chicken recipes with delicious variations available to try. Sample them all and see which you like best.