Delicious Roast Chicken Recipe
When it comes to home cooked meals, there’s nothing like a perfectly roasted chicken! There are very few people who don’t enjoy a tasty roast dinner, so they’re always a great option for a family feast. Although there are endless variations to choose from, here is one of our favourite roast chicken recipes.
Prune and Walnut Roast Chicken
If you’re planning to use this roast chicken recipe, be sure to purchase an organic or free range chicken! When you’re enjoying a healthy home-cooked meal, it’s best to avoid any unnecessary chemicals and hormones.
Ingredients (to serve 4):
- 1 large whole chicken
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 brown onion finely chopped
- 2 bacon rashers, finely chopped
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup pitted prunes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons shredded sage
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, bacon and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Remove from heat and set aside to cool for 5minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine onion mixture with prunes, breadcrumbs, walnuts, sage and egg. Season to your liking with salt and pepper.
- Clean the chicken cavity under cold water and pat dry with paper towel before stuffing the chicken with the prepared mixture.
- Tie the chicken legs together with kitchen string and place it into a roasting pan. Cover the chicken with remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken into the oven and roast for approximately 40-45 minutes or until the skin appears crispy brown and the juices run clear from the thighs when skewered.
- Remove the chicken from the roasting pan and place the pan on the stove over high heat. Add the flour and continue cooking for 2 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the chicken stock and wine and bring the mixture to the boil. Continue stirring and boiling for 3 minutes or until the gravy is thickened.
You can choose whatever sides you’d like to accompany your roast chicken. Something as simple as potatoes or peas is perfect for this roast chicken recipe given you have the delicious gravy to pour over your meal. Watch as the faces of your loved ones lighten up when you serve this wonderful roast chicken dinner!
This roast chicken recipe is courtesy of Homelife.com.au