Greek Roast Lamb with Potatoes Recipe
For thousands of years the Greeks have led the world when it comes to architecture, science, philosophy, technology and art. And today, we bring you one of their best contributions to the modern world – roast lamb! This roast lamb with potatoes recipe makes for a hearty, sumptuous meal that will have everyone wanting more!
- Leg of lamb, bone-in- approx 1.5kg
- Potatoes, peeled and quartered- 900g
- Finely chopped rosemary or oregano- 2 tablespoons
- Lemon juice 1/3 cup
- Olive oil- ½ cup
- Salt- 1 tablespoon
- Pepper – 2 tablespoons
- Water- 1 cup.
- Trim all extra fat from the lamb leaving ½ inch to protect the meat while cooking. Mix oil, herbs and salt and marinate the lamb for overnight turning occasionally. Remove the meat from the refrigerator 1 hour before roasting
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Add the lemon juice and place the meat on to the roasting tray. Place the potatoes around the meat, pour in a cup of water and cook for 30 mins.
- Take the potatoes out to roast separately. Allow the roast to be cooked for another 45 mins or until it is tender.
- When cooked, remove the roast from the oven and set aside for 20 mins. Carve the lamb and serve in a big platter with the potatoes.