Homemade Fried Chicken Recipes
Crispy fried Chicken is a favourite all over the world, whether you prefer extra crispy or with a little extra spice, we’ve got some great homemade fried chicken recipes to suit all taste buds!
Southern Fried Chicken Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup hot red pepper sauce
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 900g chicken breast, cut in pieces
- Peanut oil
- 1 cup salt
- 1/4 cup black pepper
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat the eggs into the water.
- Add hot sauce until the egg mixture turns bright orange.
- In a second bowl, mix the flour and pepper.
- Prepare the house seasoning by mixing together the salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
- Batter the chicken with the house seasoning.
- Dip the seasoned chicken into the egg mixture and then into the flour mixture.
- Fill a deep pot up to half way with oil, and then heat to about 175 degree Celsius.
- Add the chicken into the oil and fry until brown and crispy. This should take about 8-10 minutes for white meat and 13-14 minutes for darker meat.
Original Crispy Fried Chicken Recipe
- 1.8kg chicken breast, cut into pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper as desired
- 8 cups vegetable oil
- Place flour in a resealable plastic bag and season with paprika, salt and pepper.
- Dip the chicken pieces one at a time in the buttermilk, and then place them in the flour mixture.
- Seal and shake the bag to coat the chicken pieces.
- Place the coated chicken pieces on a cookie sheet or tray, and cover with waxed paper or a clean dish towel. Let it sit until the flour acquires a pasty consistency.
- Fill a large frying pan, up to half way with vegetable oil and heat to about 190 degrees.
- Fill the frying pan with as many chicken pieces as it will hold, brown the chicken on both sides.
- Once the chicken is browned, lower the heat and cover the frying pan and leave for an additional 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid from the frying pan and turn the heat back up.
- Continue to fry until the chicken turns crispy.
- Place the chicken pieces on paper towels to drain.
If you want to add a little extra spice to your fried chicken, then try serving it with our Chilli Lime Dipping Sauce.
Chilli Lime Dipping Sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 fresh small red chilli, seeded, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped coriander stalks
Place the ingredients in a small bowl and stir until all the sugar is dissolved. Dip and enjoy!
This recipe is brought to you by Butcherman