How to Cook Quail
Lots of people love quail, but very few people actually know how to cook it! If you’ve been wondering how to cook quail, or if you tend to leave this delicious meal for when you go out to a restaurant, then we are here to help you out! With a few simple and easy tips, cooking quail can be as easy as chicken, beef or pork. Plus, since you can now purchase de-boned quail, the bones are no longer a hassle to remove! Below are our top tips for cooking quail as well as a delicious recipe to try.
Tips on how to cook quail:
1. Quail meat is forgiving
One thing about quail meat is that you can do almost anything to it and it will still remain succulent and tasty. That’s why our number one tip is to get experimental when you’re cooking quail. Go ahead – throw them in the oven, pan fry them, wrap them in foil on the barbecue – as long as you give them time to cook through, they will taste delicious.
2. Boned or deboned?
You can certainly cook your quail with the bones in, and it can even make the meat extra tender and tasty. However we know that lots of people don’t like to eat around bones, so if that’s you, then why not buy your quail deboned already?
3. Cook it while it’s fresh
Don’t toss quail meat in the fridge, planning to cook them in a week’s time. Quail meat is best eaten when it’s nice and fresh. Try to cook it within a day or two of purchasing your quail.
Pomegranate Quail Fillets
Here’s a quick and easy quail fillet recipe. Great for beginners or those who don’t want to eat around the bone.
- 6 boneless quails
- 60 ml pomegranate molasses
- 20 ml chicken stock
- 15 ml red wine vinegar
- 20 grams honey
- 1 teaspoon spice mix
- A pinch of salt
- Combine all the ingredients (except the quail) in a bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Add the quails and leave them to marinate for 1-2 hours, covered in the fridge.
- Pre-heat the grill to a high heat and add the quails.
- Leave them to cook for 4-5 minutes before turning them to cook on the other side.
- Leave to cook for another 4-5 minutes before using a skewer to check whether they are done.
- Once cooked through, remove from the grill and serve with fresh salad or your choice of sides.
So now that you know how to cook quail, there is no reason to avoid cooking a delicious quail dinner. Remember what we said, it’s difficult to go wrong, so why not just give it a go!