How to Cook the Perfect Pork Belly
Pork Belly is a flavoursome cut becoming increasingly popular, yet many people are unfamiliar with how to cook it. Below we share some useful tips about how to cook roast pork belly. If you follow this pork belly recipe carefully, you should end up with an even layer of crackling. Yum!
1. Allow yourself roughly 10 minutes of preparation time and 2.5 hours for cooking. This pork belly recipe is for a 1.5kg piece of meat.
2. Preheat your oven to 220°C. Place the pork skin-side upwards on a board, and using a sharp knife, make scores about a centimeter apart through the skin into the fat. Make sure you don’t cut deep enough that you cut into the meat.
3. Once scored, rub sea salt into the slits you have just made. Brush any excess salt off the surface of the skin and turn the pork belly over.
4. Season the underside of the meat with some salt and black pepper. Once seasoned, place the pork into a roasting tray with the skin facing upwards.
5. Leave the pork belly roasting for around half an hour or until the skin begins to puff up and turn to crackling. Once this has happened, turn the oven down to 180°C and leave roasting for one more hour.
6. Take the roast pork belly out of the oven and baste with the fat that is in the bottom of the tray. Once basted, lift the pork belly out of the tray and place it on a clean board.
7. Add any veggies you wish, red onions, celery and carrots with garlic and thyme is a fantastic addition. Mix the vegetables into the fat in the tray and place the pork belly back on top.
8. Roast for another hour before removing the roast pork belly and placing it on a serving tray, covered with foil. Leave it to sit while you make the gravy.
9. To make the gravy, remove the fat from the tray and add 600ml of stock. Place the tray on the stove, bring it to the boil and simmer for a few minutes.
10. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon to ensure all the tasty bits on the bottom are scraped into the gravy. Once the gravy turns a dark colour, pour it into a gravy bowl through a sieve.
Serve your roast pork belly with the cooked vegetables, gravy and a fresh green salad. Some mashed potato and mustard are also a nice addition.
So there you have delicious pork belly recipe. Try this recipe out on your friends, they are sure to be impressed!
This pork belly recipe is courtesy of Jamie Oliver.