How to Cook the Perfect Rib Eye Roast
Entertaining friends over the New Year? You need a recipe that needs minimal preparation time!
A Rib Eye roast is sure to make your guests happy and will take only 20 minutes to prepare. With this easy recipe, you can enjoy nibbles and drinks with your friends while it roasts. Just be sure to leave yourself some time, as it will take roughly 90 minutes once it’s in the oven.
Hint: for a rib eye roast, choose a fairly even-sized piece of Beef that has some marbling throughout as well as fat on the top. This keeps the beef moist and tender during cooking.
- 2 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
- 6 teaspoons olive oil
- 2kg beef Scotch Fillet (rib eye roast)
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1.5kg Sebago (brushed) potatoes, peeled and halved lengthways
- 2 bunches baby carrots, trimmed, washed and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1.5 cups beef stock
- Steamed spinach or green beans to serve
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Heat 2 teaspoons butter and 2 teaspoons oil in a large frying pan over high heat.
- Cook the roast, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until well browned. Transfer to a roasting pan.
- Season Beef all over with salt and pepper.
- Place the potatoes, 3 teaspoons of the remaining butter and 1 teaspoon of the remaining oil in a bowl. Rub the butter and oil evenly over the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and arrange potatoes in a single layer around the beef.
- Cook beef and potatoes in preheated oven for 30minutes, basting beef with the pan juices once during cooking. Also turn potatoes at about half time.
- Place remaining oil and butter in another roasting pan. Place in oven until butter melts. Add carrots and toss to coat well. Leave them in oven for 25 minutes until beef is cooked to your liking. Shake the carrot pan occasionally during this time.
- Transfer beef to a carving tray and cover loosely with foil. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- While beef is resting, transfer potatoes to a tray lined with baking paper. Increase oven temperature to 250°C. Return potatoes while beef is resting.
- To make gravy, strain pan juices from the roasting pan into a heatproof jug. Place 2 tablespoons of juices in a saucepan and place over high heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until mixture bubbles.
- Gradually add the stock and cook, stirring and scraping the pan with a flat-bottomed wooden spoon.
- Boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 minutes or until the gravy reduces and thickens slightly. Strain into a warmed serving jug.
- Carve the beef across the grain and serve with the sides.
Following this recipe, you’ll be sure to make a mouth-watering, delicious rib eye roast. Enjoy!