Pepper Crust Beef Fillets With Vegetable Skewers
2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
1 tablespoon salt
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 beef fillet portions, approx 125g each
8 wooden skewers
1 red onion, cut into large dice
16 cherry tomatoes
16 small button mushrooms
2 tablespoons pesto
salad leaves to serve
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Soak the wooden skewers in cold water while you prepare the steaks
- Crush the peppercorns in a mortar and pestle or food processor to a medium-fine texture. Mix with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and press onto both sides of the beef fillets.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large fry pan. Cook the beef fillets 3-4 minutes on each side for medium, or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil, and let them rest for 5-10 minutes in a warm place while you cook the vegetable skewers.
- Remove the skewers from the water and pat dry. Alternate two pieces each of the mushroom, onions and tomatoes onto each skewer, and brush with pesto to coat. BBQ or grill them until tender, about 5 minutes. Serve two skewers per person, with the beef and fresh salad leaves.
- The wooden skewers are soaked in water to prevent them from burning
- Add a pinch of chilli flakes or mustard powder to the pepper mixture for extra flavour.
- Other good side dishes are homemade potato wedges, steamed beans or crunchy coleslaw.