Perfect sauces for summer
Summer means relaxing meal times, both indoors and outdoors. Aside from the different cuts of meat that you can enjoy during the summer, you can also put some more oomph into your meal time with the perfect sauces for summer. Here are a couple of recipes to make your summer meal times more memorable.
This is a fine twist on everybody’s favourite pesto. This sauce is delicious on pasta, fish or chicken.
- 3 cups fresh arugula
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice and zest of a lemon
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- In a food processor, combine arugala with pine nuts, garlic, lemon zest and juice, and salt and pepper.
- Pulse until smooth. Add olive oil.
- Blend until mixture is smooth.
- Serve immediately. This will keep in the fridge for up to a week.
Savory Strawberry Sauce
This will provide your meal time with an explosion of taste. Great over grilled salmon and also grilled chicken.
- ½ kg fresh strawberries
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp grapeseed oil or butter
- 2 tbsp strawberry preserves
- ¼ cup white wine
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Slice the strawberries. Transfer to a saucepan, add oil and place over medium heat.
- Stir in ginger, chili powder, preserves and white wine. Bring to a simmer, put on low heat and let simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit to develop deeper flavours. Serve over grilled fish or pork.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Coconut, Lemongrass and Ginger Sauce
Great over fish, this sauce puts a zing into your already tasty dish.
- 1 fresh lemongrass, lightly smashed
- Olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- ½ cup flaked coconut, toasted
- ½ litre can whole coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups fresh pineapple, small diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 lime
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add coconut milk, grated ginger, and lemongrass.
- Reduce milk to half and until it becomes thick and creamy.
- Add a teaspoon of cilantro and two tablespoons toasted coconut.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add a squeeze of fresh lime, cilantro and fresh pineapple, and toss.
Fish Sauce Caesar Dressing
Another twist on a favourite kitchen ingredient. Instead of taking an ingredient from your comfort zone, why not try fish paste to add more taste and a different dimension to your dressing.
- 1 large pasteurized shell egg
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, finely grated
- ½ cup mild olive oil
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp coarse salt
- In a blender jar, combine egg, fish sauce, garlic, mustard and lemon juice. Blend
- While blender is running, add oil slowly and process until mixture is emulsified.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce and cheese.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Mexican Chocolate Sauce
Chocolate Sauce – and Mexican at that! What more do you want to know. Perfect over cake or ice cream.
- 25 grams dark chocolate
- ½ cup cream
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 6 drops almond extract
- A pinch of cayenne
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate.
- On medium low flame, heat cream and water In a medium sauce pan.
- Once cream and water are heated through, whisk in melted chocolate.
- Heat thoroughly but do not bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add almond extract and cinnamon.
- Mix thoroughly.