Pumpkin, Chorizo and Chick Pea Soup
1kg pumpkin or butternut squash (whole weight)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium brown onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
2 chorizo sausages, sliced into rounds
1 litre chicken stock or water
400g can chick peas, drained and rinsed
Sea salt and black pepper
lime and olive oil to garnish
- Peel, de-seed and chop the pumpkin into large chunks about 3cm big.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 5 mins then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Remove the pot from the heat, add the paprika and stir to combine thoroughly. Add the chorizo then return to the heat with a splash of water.
- Cook for 2 minutes, or until the chorizo begins to crisp, and add the pumpkin and stock or water. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for 15 minutes until the pumpkin is tender.
- Transfer half the soup to a blender, allow to cool slightly and then blend until smooth. Return the soup to the pot, add the chickpeas, and simmer until heated through. Taste and season. Then drizzle with olive oil and serve with lime wedges