Scrumptious Chicken Legs
Do you fancy chicken legs, breast or both? While the chicken breast is a healthy cut with less fat, lots of people will argue that the leg is more flavoursome. Either way, everyone has different preferences. Last week we looked at different ways to cook chicken breasts, so this time we’ll focus on the leg. Here are two delicious chicken drumstick recipes!
Citrus and Tarragon Chicken Legs
Ingredients (to serve 5):
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup golden syrup
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1.5 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup loosely packed coarsely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 orange, rind finely grated, juiced
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated, juiced
- 10 (about 100g each) chicken drumsticks
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 orange, peeled, segmented
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Combine vinegar, golden syrup, thyme, garlic, tarragon, orange and lemon rind and juice in a jug. Place chicken into a glass or ceramic bowl. Pour mixture over chicken and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge for 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Drain the chicken and reserve the marinade. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, for 4 minutes or until browned.
- Place chicken into a hot roasting pan and cover with marinade and orange segments. Cover roasting pan tightly with foil. Bake for 1 hour, turning and basting after 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Transfer chicken to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Pour pan juices into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Continue to boil uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken and orange segments drizzled with sauce.
Sticky Sesame Chicken Legs
Ingredients (to serve 5):
- 1/2 cup salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 12 chicken legs
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Combine the soy sauce, honey, rice wine, ginger and garlic in a glass or ceramic dish. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Cover and place in the fridge for 3 hours to marinate.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a large baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Drain the chicken, reserving the marinade. Place the chicken on the lined tray.
- Bake in oven, basting occasionally with reserved marinade, for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake for a further 10 minutes or until chicken is golden and the juices run clear when the thickest part of the leg is pierced with a skewer.
So there you have two delicious chicken drumstick recipes! Both are extremely easy to prepare and are full of flavour. If you have the time, it’s worth marinating the chicken overnight as this will help to maximize the chicken’s flavour. So for everyone who’s been sticking to chicken breast, maybe it’s time to try a chicken drumstick!
These chicken drumstick recipes are compliments of Taste.com.au