How to Make your own Steak Sauce
Even a well-cooked steak is not quite complete without a good steak sauce. Sauces for steak compliment the flavour and texture of meat, as well as provide added moisture to the meat. Here are some quick steak sauce recipes that you can make using readily available ingredients.
Lazy Student’s Steak Sauce
- Tomato ketchup – 1/2 cup
- Worcestershire sauce – 1/4 to 1/2 cup
- Pour the ketchup into a mixing bowl.
- Add 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce for a more tomato-flavoured steak sauce or 1/2 cup of Worcestershire sauce for a stronger, brown steak sauce.
- Blend together with a spoon or spatula.
- Serve on steaks, hamburgers or meatloaf.
Quick Homemade Steak Sauce
- Low sodium soy sauce – 2tsp
- Hot pepper sauce – 2 to 4 drops
- Fresh lemon juice – 1tsp
- Brown sugar – 1 pinch
- Mix ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Leave the mixture in the refrigerator for a couple of hours to let the flavours marry.
- Serve with steak.
A1 Steak Sauce
- Orange Juice – 1/2 Cup
- Raisins -1/2 Cup
- Soy Sauce – 1/4 Cup
- White Vinegar – 1/4 Cup
- Dijon mustard – 2 Tbsp
- Bottled Grated Orange Peel – 1 Tbsp
- Tomato ketchup – ¬2 Tbsp
- Chilli Sauce – 2 Tbsp
- Mix the ingredients and bring to the boil for 2 minutes stirring.
- Remove from heat. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Blend the mixture in a blender till it is pureed.
- Serve with steak or store in a tightly sealed bottle and refrigerate to use within 90 days.
Red wine sauce
- Shallots – 2 tbsp
- cold, unsalted butter – 3-4 tbsp
- dry, red wine – 1/2 cup
- dark chicken (or veal) stock – 1 cup
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- Lightly fry the minced shallots on the medium heat.
- Add the red wine. Reduce the liquid until it reaches a syrup-like consistency.
- Add dark chicken stock and reduce again until slightly thickened.
- To finish the sauce, turn off the heat and swirl in the cold butter, a bit at a time.
- Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
Granny’s Steak Sauce
- cold water – 1/2 cup
- raisins preferably white – 1/4 cup
- aged balsamic vinegar – 1/2 cup
- Worcestershire sauce ¬- 1/4 cup
- ketchup – 1/4 cup
- Dijon mustard – 1/4 cup
- a pinch of cayenne
- black pepper – 1/4 teaspoon
- garlic clove cut in half
- Mix the ingredients and cook on low simmer heat for 15 minutes.
- Stain this through a fine mesh strainer and squeeze out all the juice.
- Let it cool completely. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the sauce with steak