Warming Winter Soup Recipes
Winter soup recipes are one of the great culinary delights to tuck into and enjoy during those cold chilly nights, not to mention they’re very healthy and nutritional for you and your family!
Most winter soup recipes are low in calories, low in saturated fats, plus they contain a high number of vegetables, so they’re extremely rich in nutrients with proven anti-inflammatory effects, making it a great option during flu season.
So whether you’re looking to slim your waistline, increase your nutrient intake or you simply want a nice hearty soup to tuck into this winter, we’ve got some great winter soup recipes for you to try:
Vegetable Beef Stew
- 600g stew beef, cut into bite-size portions
- 1.5 litres of water
- 3 beef stock cubes
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced 1 cm thick
- 2 carrots, sliced 1 cm thick
- 2 potatoes, cubed
- 400g diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- salt, pepper, and onion powder to taste
- Salt and pepper the stew beef, and sauté in butter until brown. Remove from heat.
- Add chopped onion, celery, and carrots to the pan. Sauté until thoroughly browned and softened.
- Add water, beef stock, potatoes, tomatoes and the beef cubes into the mixture. Simmer on medium low for 30 minutes.
- Approximately 25 minutes into the simmer, add the chopped kale and season with salt, pepper and onion powder.
- Serve and enjoy.
Leek & Bacon Soup
- 2 litres beef stock
- 4 slices of bacon
- 12 medium sized leeks, well washed and chopped to 2 cm lengths
- 100g long grain rice, washed
- 3-4 medium sized carrots, peeled and grated
- Salt, thyme and crushed black pepper to taste
- Fry bacon until crispy. Remove from pan and crumble.
- In reserved bacon grease, sauté half of the leeks and the carrots together until very brown and soft, approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Add beef broth, crumbled bacon, rice and spices to the mixture. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 60 to 90 minutes, until broth begins to thicken.
- When the broth is thick, add the remaining leeks to the pot and simmer for an additional 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.