Nothing makes a more perfect winter dinner than a delicious slow cooked dish. Slow cookers are simple to use, and provide mouth-watering meals that the whole family will enjoy. Don’t stress if you haven’t got one though, you can still try slow cooker recipes in a large pan on the stove or in the oven. Here is one of our favourite slow cooker recipes to try!
Slow Cooked Chicken with Marsala, Rosemary and Plums
Ingredients (to serve 6):
- 1/4 cup plain flour, to dust
- 2 x 1.2kg whole chickens, each cut into 8 pieces
- 1/3 cup olive oil• 3 brown onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup marsala
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 8 plums, halved, stone removed
- Pour flour over a large plate and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss chicken in the flour mixture to coat and then shake off any excess.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Cook one-third of the chicken for 6-7 minutes or until browned (turning occasionally).
- Transfer to a plate and repeat in 2 more batches.
- Heat the remaining oil in the dish over medium heat and add the onion. Cook for 10 minutes or until golden, stirring regularly.
- Add the marsala before bringing to a simmer and scraping the edges of the pan with a spoon to dislodge any bits that have cooked onto the base.
- Add chicken, stock, vinegar and rosemary and continue simmering.
- Cover before reducing the pan to low heat and cooking for roughly 45 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked through (if you have a slow cooker, transfer everything in the pan into the slow cooker).
- Add the plums and cook for another 15 minutes or until they have softened slightly.
- Serve the slow cooked chicken among plates.
So there you have one of our favourite slow cooker recipes. If you can find a slow cooker at a reasonable price, we highly recommend purchasing one. They truly make the perfect winter meals!
**Today’s slow cooked chicken recipe is courtesy of Taste.com.au